Monday, November 2, 2015

How to Make a Paper Poppy for Veteran's Day

Hello, How about remembering our combat veterans and showing our gratitude for their service and sacrifices?  November 11 is next week and I wanted to show my appreciation by making the following project which I share and explain all of the steps involved over at the Arnold Grummer Blog Design Team page.

I am also sharing this project with the viewers of the Designers Craft s Connection.



Supplies:
 5 x 7 canvas
Acrylic Craft Paint in Buttermilk (DecoArt)
Handmade paper in Red, Green, and Black
Stamping ink in Tea Dye (Ranger)
Glue (Aleene's)
Clear Acrylic Stamp of Poppies (stash)
Printer paper

I love to make handmade gifts and I also really enjoy making my very own paper.  I recycle junk mail, and gift wrap and turn them into art making paper.  My preferred method of making paper is to use an old blender and mix my own pulp by shredding papers and mixing with some water.  I then pour the pulp mixture into a wooden mold. (as per the Arnold Grummer Paper Making Method).  There is a video for this here.
The handmade paper can be used for just about any paper crafting project, such as this one.
For the above project I painted a canvas and decorated it with a handmade paper poppy, some stamped on poppies, and glued on a print out of the poem: "In Flander's Field", which I got from the internet.

I hope that you are inspired to make your own handmade papers, and your own gifts.  Please take a moment on November 11 to remember our veterans.
Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: