Tuesday, March 22, 2016

How To Make Baby Bibs that are Heavy Duty

National Craft Month Series with 100Directions.com


How would you like to spend less time doing laundry and have more time for crafting?  Well here is one-way mom's with young children and babies can get a short reprieve.  



You see, when I was a younger mother, ahem, I got sick of doing big loads of laundry following every major Holiday and family gathering.  The culprit behind my sentence was those commercially made bibs!  They were too small most of the time.  Or they did not provide enough coverage.  So after each meal my children's clothes were still dirty, and worse stained!  Ugghhh, I had enough.  So I went to the stores and searched for some cute and soft hand towels that I would convert into these Heavy Duty Bibs!  That;s right, I created my pattern and made these super bibs.  Like a cape that babies wear in the front. LOL.  I got to reduce my loads of laundry significantly and just tossed those bibs in with the other towels when I did laundry.  Easy peasy!  Here is how I made the front facing capes.  I first shared this tutorial with the readers of Seams and Scissors; now I am sharing with you!  I hope that these help out another parent or caregiver.



1.  Find some cute towel and size it up.



As hand towels come in varying sizes, it may be necessary to cut one to the appropriate size.  In this tutorial, the towels measure 15 x 24 inches, and I cut it in half.  I finished the cut edges with a rolled seam to keep the fabric from fraying.

2.  Cut a hole to fit your baby's head.


 Trace a 5 to 6-inch circle near the upper edge of the towel, centering it at the same time.  Remember to leave enough cloth to drape over baby.

3.   Make the neck.

 Cut a piece of ribbing or a very stretchy knit about 3 x 18 inches.  Sew the ends together to create a tube.  I recommend finishing the edge with a zigzag stitch or in an overlocked edge.  Which will enable the neck to stretch accordingly?

4.  Put a ring on it.

  Fold the tube in half along the longest edge to create a piece that is about 1 and a half inches wide.



5.  Bring it all together.

 Using pins, attach the ring of ribbing to the towel neck hole.  Try to keep the seam in the back.  Secure temporarily with the pins stretching as you stitch.


6. Serge that neckline.

 Sew the neck ring again with a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine or use a serger.



7.  Secure and avoid the flip.



  Top stitch 1/8" from ribbing on the towel side.  Stitching will secure the ribbing and keep it from rolling out.

Thank you for popping by.





No comments: